Old Sat, Jun-03-06, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: FF/TSP/Improv
Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:size 18/16/10
Progress: 40%

Hey Bawdywench,

I just love the name...
You are a lot of fun! & great advice! I have been reading your posts on other threads.
I think of the shopping instinct as a hunter-gatherer
thing. Highly intuitive at its best. When I lived in Maine...well let's just say
that the only hunting and gathering I could access easily was for
roots 'n berries. ..and in competition with bear and moose ;o). Speaking of which...I of course have water retention at times and have discovered that dandelion root and leaves work well (for me) as a gentle diuretic. I just let 'em go in the garden...and friends give them to me. I throw them in salad at this time of year. I did some research and apparently dandelion is 'potassium sparing' so you don't get so depleted. It is the 'mild edema' remedy of choice for many herbalists.
Also, I use celtic sea salt...lower in sodium and high in trace minerals AND
I buy naturally cured bacon ends from a local farmer and I WASH them.
That is I cut up the pieces, freeze in meal-sized portions and before cooking soak them in 2 or 3 hot water baths to remove excess sodium. It Works.

I just ordered the "Slow Burn ..." Eades book...since I am working out and mowing and gardening and therein pulling or twisting some ligament or muscle every other day...The book addresses that injury tendency in middle age onward and also the need for muscle mass to effectively burn fat...looks very interesting. I think it would work well with a light yoga routine =/or nap.

I had a lot of sleep problems earlier in the M process. It is so common and can contribute to depression and stress...higher cortisol and the hated belly fat. (Well...my mate claims to love my belly fat but he is a physicist from southern India and in addition to having really unusual stuff in his head at all times..has a REALLY different idea about feminine beauty than most Americans) I, however, can and will do without the belly. I am sure he'll get over it hehe!! Maybe he'll develop an appreciation for the chiseled look...hopefully not until I have at least a nice bicep bulging.
Since starting this low carb thing again, I am also having trouble sleeping.
I think I need tryptophan. I used to consume a carb snack and occasional hot milk before bed to help me sleep...but it doesn't fit into this regime, now...so the sleep thing has to improve.
Got to work on that. I will share anything I figure out. Please let me hear of whatever works for you.
There are some herbal and homeopathic and meditation things.
I did make a violin recording which people say kind of makes you nod off.
I was very sleep deprived during recording. But seriously some kind of sound effect might help you train yourself into sleep. Even white noise.
As for the digestive problems you have with carbs...I was wondering if you might have some specific food sensitivities? Have you investigated that?
I have that reaction to certain things...like wheat and soy.

Anyhoe, good news is that (my experience) menopausal chaos tends to improve if you're health conscious...and generally conscious. For me, patience and optimism were in short supply but I would have gotten through it better if I had known what I know now. At 51 I did not expect this outcome....I really do love being in my own skin now in a way unparalleled. And finally due to this LC diet I am losing dress sizes slowly. YAY! Down to a loose 16. Have size 10 jeans hanging in my closet.
We can do this.

Amen.

5'8 1/2" without yoga. Used to be 5'10". scoliosis not osteoporosis. sigh
Regards, Your Friendly Elfgirl