View Single Post
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-20, 00:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Zei -- Eades is saying that beta oxidation of MUFA wth one double bond per molecule lowers FADH2 a bit compared to oxidation of completely saturated fat, but not as much as oxidation of PUFA with 2 or more double bonds. Each double bond loses 2 hydrogen atoms with their single proton and electron. So MUFA lowers the FADH2/NADH ratio but not as much as PUFA. Saturated fat with no double bonds generates more FADH2 and more reverse electron transport and more ROS and more fat cell insulin resistance. MUFA generates less reverse electron transport and PUFA generates none. So your fat cells stop accepting fat more quickly when eating saturated fats, more slowly with MUFA, and never with PUFA.

So eating MUFA (oleic acid, olive oil) might not satiate your cells as quickly as eating saturated fat, but isn't as bad as PUFA (seed/vegetable oils).

When I took organic chemistry I learned nothing useful about fats until I read Mary Enig's "Know your Fats" which I recommend. One interesting thing I did learn was that your liver quickly makes saturated fat out of excess carbs (I guess your liver thinks saturated fat is safer than excess carbs) and that it can put a double bond at the #9 carbon from the N-terminal end of the sat fat molecule, changing the new molecule from sat fat to MUFA. But it can't make PUFA, it can't put a double bond at the #3 or #6 carbon(omega-3 and omega-6 fats). But you need a little of each so you have to eat them, therefore they're called the essential fatty acids.