#17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 07:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
And, in this day and age of scrambling for research dollars, NOBODY has the time or money to merely duplicate someone else's published work to figure out if they get the same results. Everybody is trying to push the envelope and do something new because that's the only way to get research grants. So, at best, they'll take published results and try to replicate them only to the extent necessary to then add on some other step that goes just a little bit further. And, when a second scientist cannot replicate something that has been published in a respected peer-reviewed journal, he is usually told "you must be doing something wrong." Nobody ever wants to believe that maybe the published work was wrong in the first place!

Just my 2cents.... well, maybe $2

I find this well-informed and right on the nose. Because how did all that research pile up that constantly claimed low fat/high carb was better for health? Because it was constantly "comparing Roman Meal to Wonder bread" kinds of research. Because everyone knew saturated fat was bad for you!

Perhaps, as Mark Twain observed, it is better not to know so much than to know so many things that aren’t so.

Yes, fruit is better than snack food. Yes, vegetables have more vitamins than cake. Yes, we should eat processed food "in moderation." And I know people who do that, and seem to stay slim and healthy and active. Some of them do and some of them drop dead from sudden cardio-vascular issues that were lurking all along.

It has happened to people I know often enough that I think my tendency to put on fat in response to such a food plan actually might have saved my life; my A1C was getting higher and so was my pants size and that drove me to desperation: Atkins.

People cling to what they think they know when they keep on with their present eating plan, be that VEGAN (look at all this research in the New York Times!) or their version of the SAD.

All I can say in response is that their "peer-reviewed gold standard" runs 20 years behind the cutting edge of the curve, and I don't have that kind of time.

I need the curve.