#20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-19, 16:48

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Before low fat, doctors would “clean out” the gall bladder and let it heal. It was considered a vital organ.

Cleaning out the gall bladder had limited success. If the attack is caused by a stone which has become lodged within the duct, then it won't do much good just to clean out the gall bladder, you'd need to remove the duct. Removing the duct would permanently block the bile inside the gall bladder, just like the obstruction in the duct blocked the bile, so they'd need to remove the gall bladder anyway.

I think they're just cutting to the chase - remove the gall bladder, and it's quicker than trying the clean out the gall bladder, only to find out that doesn't fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Hmmmm. An entire organ to help us digest FAT. If we’re supposed to eat low fat, why do we have a specialized organ evolved to help us do it well?

It's only considered gall bladder disease if you have attacks. A gall bladder attack only occurs after a high fat meal. Therefore, THEY make it sound like eating too much fat is what causes gall bladder disease to begin with. Therefore, if you eat low fat all the time, then you won't need to have bile squirting out of your gall bladder, and therefore sludge or stones won't block the bile and cause an attack.

At least that's the way it was described back when I had mine removed - they probably haven't changed their stance much since then though, even though there's now evidence that the bile stagnating in there (due to eating a diet too low in fat) is what causes the bile to harden into stones and sludge, so that when you finally give in and have a fatty meal, you end up with a gall bladder attack.