View Single Post
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 09:19
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

RE: high fat intake being bad? Well, case in point, my new doc ran a battery of blood tests upon first visit in January. When I came back for her analysis of those results, she turned to me and said "I see in your medication list you don't take a statin for cholesterol. Have you ever taken a statin?". having read all the latest on statins, I readily replied "NO, and Dr. Jones, I will never take one, EVER." She said my lipid profile was one of a much younger person (I'm 69) and one of someone who was on a statin. I told her I had once had higher cholesterol leve, but been doing Atkins for 9 years, which is a moderate protein, low-carb, high fat program. I'm one who has NEVER trimmed the fat off a good steak and have always eaten the skin on my chicken! She ( a lady in her 30's) was completely shocked and replied in her utterly charming Russian accent (from Georgia), said that whatever I was doing diet-wise, to just keep doing it.

Re: brains need carbs for fuel...........there is much research out there now that shows brains not only do fine on fat for fuel, but they perform perhaps even better on fat for fuel. Just listen to how many people on a LC diet will profess they no longer feel they have "brain fog".

I still chose to listen to Dr. Atkins and the research he found and saw in his practice with real patients as well as newer research the supports his position on all fronts.