#3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 20:18
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Belly fat and menopause......

Fat is extremely estrogenic, particularly belly fat. We already know that from all the threads and posts about someones period going wonky as they lose weight.

So why do perimenopausal and menopausal women seem to overnight develop the "meno-pot"? As the ovaries begin to diminish and stop their production of estrogen the body because it is a great evolutionary survivor recognizes that the body is becoming low if not depleted in estrogen. The body can't make the ovaries work any more so the body develops a nice layer of fat....belly fat....which is estrogenic. Mildy estrogenic, but still estrogenic such the same. This belly fat never is able to produce estrogen like the ovaries, but it will try. Usually getting bigger as menopause progresses.

Does this happen to everyone....no, but more often than not, take a closer look at menopausal women--even if they are extremely skinny, they still may have a "menopot".

Hormone replacement can help but it doesn't resolve it.

I'm 52. Using bHRT for the past 3 years. My menopot is smaller than it was 40 pounds ago, but I still have one. Sometimes you just have to accept....I'm NEVER going to have the body that I had when I was 30...today...I can accept that.

HTH

Lisa

PS--I say....wear clothes that flatter and have a man that likes to rest his head on it