View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-22, 06:46

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

But look at how many people don't stick to low carb. Are the many, many people who are no longer posting here all out there enjoying their low-carb diets and keeping weight off? Somehow I doubt it. And speaking of enjoyment, VLC is not an enjoyable diet for me at all. I asked one of my doctors once, why low carb wasn't talked about more for diabetics, and he said, "Because people don't stick to it".

I wonder if this drug is similar to how I felt on Metform when I first went on it. It was clearly an appetite suppressant in the beginning. So much so that when I had to go off it for two days to have a CT scan, I noticed the difference! Then that effect faded over time. I asked my pharmacist about that when we were chatting one day and he said that is a common experience.

Rather than surgery, I could see trying this drug at times in my past, times of utter despair over my inability to simply eat as I intended. But if it means being on a drug for life - well, that's questionable. Someone in that article compared it to high blood pressure medication which is actually a good comparison because some people can often get off them with other lifestyle changes - which should be the goal.

If this drug enabled people to lose a lot of weight and feel better as a result, that alone may be motivating. But I also see that it might not. But saying it encouraged yo-yo dieting seems misguided as that is what people are doing now.

Krista Varady, for those who may not recognize her name, is the Intermittent Fasting Researcher who influenced the 5:2 Diet book. When it was so successful, she rushed out her own book which did not impress me, iirc, beyond the basic concept of IF. Food plans that included Pop-tarts, for instance.