Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/243/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Chocolate Bars from Karen's Book

Hi Karen,

I've been working on the chocolate bar recipe from your book p.258 (LOVE the book, BTW). I'm in Vancouver, and am wondering if you can help out with places to get the ingredients.

I found cocoa butter at Charlie's Chocolate Factory on Kingsway, but when I tried to get unsweetened chocolate there, they didn't seem to understand what I meant. (They sell Callebaut there, and pointed me to the bittersweet, but it still has sugar and I was fairly sure that wasn't what I want.) They sold me "Cocoa Liquor" which is a hard-bar format, and the only ingredient listed on it is "cocoa mass".. is this the same as unsweetened chocolate, and if not, can you suggest where in Vancouver I could get some?

When I buy Baker's unsweetened chocolate from the grocery store, the ingredients on the side says "Unsweetened Chocolate" not the "cocoa mass" that the Cocoa Liquor says.. but you recommend not using a supermarket brand. Help!

I did try the Purdy's factory store, but they didn't have cocoa butter, let alone quality unsweetened chocolate.

I hate maltitol (and try to avoid the commercial sugar-free bars with it) and am looking forward to getting a bar-like result from your recipe of Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin, and possibly trying your recipe with Xylitol.

OH, and I gotta say, I'm addicted to your recipe for Keema (spiced ground beef) -- 12 spices to measure out, but sooo worth it!! (Did I mention I love your book!! The side-bar tips n' tricks and chapter intros are fabulous!)

Thanks!
Nicki
Sponsored Links