Thread: To the Top
View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 08:59

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Today, Sunday, is my day off. The 3.75 mile run yesterday really wore me out, but today my old knees are fine and my legs feel good. Cranking on the grip trainer while sitting reading the news, some light yard work later, but mostly kicking back.

Tomorrow, the son and I hit the weights for some good chest/tri/leg work.

Just a note on my son. When we started lifting in March, he struggled to bench the 65 lbs. Last week he finally pushed single plates (135 lbs)...pushing through a plateau that he had been struggling with for the last 2 months. I think it was more mental than physical, as every time he tried 135 lbs he would get the bar off the rack, and then lower it too slowly, bleeding energy and sacrificing momentum. Anyway, I am very glad he has hit 'single plates', now time to help him get to 150, then 185, and then 225:-)

A little more on me. I used to lift a fair amount when younger. I never got huge, but I did get pretty strong at my peak, with a peak bench press of 285. 30 years later, I do OK in the weight room, although nothing special. I had been sticking to dumbbell presses because of shoulder issues (last time I tried to bench, standard grip, after 2 months I had constant pain in my right shoulder that lasted for several months), but needed more challenge than the 60 lb dumbbells, so I started benching again, but with a close grip (to mimic dumbbell presses, reducing shoulder stresses). Just for the fun of it, I pushed up 200 last week, and could probably go higher, but I am just going to mostly stay in the 165-185 range until I am confident that I will not wreck my shoulders again. I would like to hoist 'double plates', but we will see...age, close grip and damaged shoulders may not allow it.