Thread: Over 50
View Single Post
  #116   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 18:06

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I just had a quick look at the SB diet. It is not unlike a diet that I am currently on as I was so stalled on Atkins, having all the usual slow metabolism problems of the over 60's etc. The main difference is that I am having a protein shake as morning and afternoon snacks. Basically, it is just like induction, except that saturated fats are avoided, and monounsaturated fat is increased (take 2-3 tabsp flaxseed oil a day)..it is quite strict and anything from 1000-1300 calories a day.

What amused me about the SB diet site, was that it has a glycemic index site on in that completely contradicts the advice given by Dr A. in the SB diet!! For example, the glycemic index site says you can eat unlimited amounts of certain very high glycemic foods such as baked potatoes! He wold not advocate that at all.

In a nutshell, his diet mainly restricts saturated fats...so you eat lean meats, low fat dairy etc. otherwise it is the same as Atkins. As i am now trying this (started 5 days ago) I will be ale to report back in 3-4 weeks as to how I am going. I feel that it is breaking my stall, but at this point am unsure if I want to keep avoiding sat. fats forever...I don't think the science is there to back it up. I do think it is calories at our age that matter, plus good resistance exercise. I believe we all got fat because we eat too much of everything, and dieting off and on just made things worse as our poor bodies keep trying to guard us from the self imposed famines..I am paying the price now as I try to get off some 20 lbs of unhealthy fat.

Val