Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Lisa... isn't it possible, as you mentioned in 2 different threads on the first day, that this Optimal Diet when followed according to the original instructions is not merely a high pork & dairy fat diet, but that more importantly, it is extremely LOW fructose --- and therefore, people who are 'tweaking' the plan to their liking must be certain to make LOW fructose, LOW fructan choices when they change things?

Annie, there must have been a misunderstanding of what I wrote. I was astounded that forty years ago someone was able to somehow intuit the research that is just surfacing - that it may be excess fructose intake rather than excess glucose intake -- in the presence of high fat and high protein -- that is the main cause of insulin resistance for many people.

However, the key for me is excess, not the substance itself. If that were the case than Atkins would never work for anyone. Nor PP, nor South Beach, etc. But they do, even if they don't work for everyone, or for some people forever. Though I do agree that just as there are some people who are gluten or dairy intolerant, or protein intolerant, etc. there are also people who may well be fructose intolerant. I looked up the symptoms for that, and I don't have a single one of them.

I have begun to add a few more carbs in the form of starchy veg -- like white potato -- to my low protein diet, to no ill effect. But I also continue to eat limited amounts of fructose -- like berries, to no ill effect. I've lost a ton of weight eating fructose, in limited amounts, and will continue to do so. And fruit is allowed on the OD, in limited amounts. For me, the word 'limited' is really the key to handling fructose.

As for what makes K's OD work for those of us who did lose weight on Atkins, etc. -- and then screeched to a halt despite anything we did -- I believe it is the protein reduction and the higher fat intake. And Dr. K's ratios are different than Groves'. He says you should eat a gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass. A person who weighs 250 pounds might have a lean body mass of 200 pounds. Or 125 pounds if they have a BMI of 50%. That's 125g-200g protein per day. Nowhere near OD limits, which are based on ideal body weight, not what a person weighs now.

Lisa