Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 20:12
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Funny, a lot of the things on your list are precisely what help me avoid carb creeps. That list is more like calorie creep. Piling lots of dressing and avocado on a salad would make me so full, I probably wouldn't have to eat again that day. But where my problem often lies is with failing to decide WHAT it is I'm watching. I can eat a fairly high number of carbs as long as I'm keeping the overall calories low, for example on hot/humid days where I'd rather have more V8 and salads, less grease. Similarly, I can load up on 2500 calories worth of fat, easily, and not gain weight - as long as I keep the carbs almost nil and spread evenly through the day. What kills me is getting those philosophies mixed up, losing focus, and justifying eating just about anything.

My biggest carb creeps: a taste of something, since a taste isn't a serving. (:rolleyes Free food, since free food isn't really food. (:rolleyes

This is good - because I'm *finally* noticing the same thing. I cut out dairy altogether a few weeks back, and have noticed that I'm intolerant to dairy products (haven't yet figured out if it's casein or lactose). I also read somewhere that sometimes when you're intolerant to a particular food - you crave it. That's what was happening with me - I couldn't control my portions very well when it came to things like cream, sour cream, creamy dressings and cheese.

That said, since dropping the dairy - I've been able to eat loads more vegetables and the weight loss finally started happening again. It took me awhile to wrap my brain around the idea that although there are carbs in vegetables - they really don't hinder weight loss at all. In fact, I've found the opposite.

And yet, if I weren't so 'crave-y' about dairy foods, I'm sure I would have found the same thing - that these foods might have helped me stick to plan because of how satisfying they are.

I do think you're right about the fact that my list is not just 'carb creep' but perhaps 'calorie creep' as well.

One of these days, I'll force myself to start utilizing the My P.L.A.N. feature here and see just what it is that is finally working. Where my carbs and calories are.

Thank you Kristine for explaining this 'mixing up of philosophies' - it makes a whole lot of sense.