View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 19:18

Plan: Fung, Rosedale
Stats: 236/195/157 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I have read a lot of people saying that they are now better after LCHF because their glucose and A1C readings have improved. I've had these results too.

On a routine blood test I found my glucose at 7.4 mmol/L a couple of years ago. After some discussion with my doctor, he agreed to wait for six months before going on medication. The six months gave me the opportunity to go on the Atkins diet (I knew I could lose weight). After the six months my glucose dropped to 5.2 mmol/L and A1C to about 5.3.

I thought my problems were over until I feasted (had to go to a wedding). I measured my glucose next morning to find that it was around 8.5. Obviously I was not out of trouble. I started reading about insulin resistance. A very complicated test appears to be a glucose tolerance test. I did a glucose tolerance test at home and found that my graph shows that I am very resistant (very pre-diabetic or actually am a diabetic). I found Dr Fung's website and realised that insulin resistance is reversible.

I am now doing intermittent fasting as well as a diet of low carb, adequate protein and high fat. I have done this now for about 2 months with the occasional feasting (weddings and birthday party invitations).

I am now trying to find out if there is a better way to test and monitor progress of reversing the insulin resistance than doing glucose tolerance testing regularly.