#44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-07, 07:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/150/140 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone,
I'm a type 2 from across the pond. I live in Amsterdam. I was diagnosed in 2001 and first was put on Tolbutamide. Steadily increased the dose until maximum. When that didn't help I got switched to Glibenclamide and that went up to the maximum dose (2 tablets of 5 mg each). My glucose levels just wouldn't drop like they were supposed to. As I have had weight problems since I was 18 (am 64 now) I decided to go low carb (my version of Atkins) about 2 years ago. Because I was very frustrated that my A1C was taking too long to come down, I purchased a meter and started measuring 4 time a day. After a while I noticed that when I ate dairy products my readings would stay a bit higher (1 to 2 points European measurement). That was when I realised that I had become lactose intolerant. I used to drink a litre of milk a day and over a kilo of cheese a week, not to mention greek yoghurt (the very heavy stuff). So after I cut out all dairy products my glucose levels really dropped and I had to cut back my medication dramatically.

Last year on holidays in India I had to stop taking my medication (1/2 tablet glybenclamide) as I was getting hypo's in the middle of the night. After the holidays my glucose stayed steady on the highish side and I thought I was doing just fine. But my A1C had crept up again, which was nog good so my doctor advised me to take my 1/2 tablet glybenclamide again. Drat that!! However, at the same time I thought what I should do is give my pancreas a rest by not snacking between meals. So now I only eat 3 low carb meals a day and I have noticed an improvement on my glucose levels. In April when I had another A1C done, it had dropped again to 6.9 from 7.2. I'm hoping to see a further improvement when my next A1c is due in August.

So in conclusion, the low carb diet is working for me. Dr Jay Wortman put it very nicely: what is the first thing you do when the bathtub is overflowing? You turn off the tap!! (When you body is overflowing with glucose you turn off the carbohydrate tap).

Regards,
Jo