View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-19, 12:11

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Most of the anti-CICO arguments assume that you're eating a carb-heavy diet. Sure, simply restricting calories isn't a good plan because your body does not treat all calories the same. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing at all. There are plenty of people who need to find ways to control what they eat beyond just restricting carbs in order to achieve their goals, especially weight loss goals.

First, you don't say how long you've been eating low carb. If you're still within the first month, don't worry about eating everything in sight. Go ahead and eat more. It's a good way to counter act the carb cravings and those big portions and extra calories are a good way to send your body a clear message that it's going to be getting lots of healthy food from here on out. Many people find that their appetite naturally diminishes after the first several weeks.

But not everyone. I'm one of those people. What I've found useful is to track everything. I use my calorie intake as a mental guideline. When I get to the point where I've eaten enough in the day based on calories, I can stop and really ask myself: Am I still actually hungry or is it cravings or boredom or something else that's driving me to eat right now. If I'm hungry, I eat regardless of how many calories I've had that day. If I'm not I try to figure out what I might really need, based on macros (almost always for me, I need more protein--recommendations tend to be very low) rather than just snacking on easy to eat food.

I'd recommend finding a good tracking app like Chronometer or Joy. Track everything you eat for the next couple of weeks. Don't restrict, just track it to gather data. Then if your appetite doesn't naturally start to change, you'll be armed with plenty of information about what you're eating and not eating and how that might be getting in the way of meeting your goals.

Also, use a good calculator to estimate what your calorie intake should be be along with your minimum protein. (Try http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) Keep in mind that, even on low carb, that if you drop your calorie intake below your resting metabolic rate (RMR) for too long you will slow your metabolism. Studies have referred to this as the "Biggest Loser" syndrome, but low carb diets are not protective of this metabolic change. However, low carb diets have been demonstrated to raise RMR so you can eat more and lose, plus the higher fat diet is more satiating. (Fasting has been shown to be protective of it though, so once you've been low carb for a while, it's a good option to explore.)

Eating low carb isn't some kind of crazy miracle diet. Ultimately if you want to lose weight, you can't just eat whatever you want and you'll need to restrict. It's just that it's way easier to do it on low carb than the low-fat, always-hungry plan.