View Single Post
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-04, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

DerBlumers, We seem to be in about the same situation. I was diagosed with T2 in July, about 3 weeks after I started Atkins. It took me 3 or 4 weeks to finally loose a little weight. When I got Metformin I lost 4 pounds the first week. I also have PCOS. Since then it has been very slow. 18 lbs in 6 months. I also have been trying to figure out why. I started using more butter and cream and when I do that I feel like I loose a little faster. Sometimes I have a hard time getting 1000 to 1200 calories a day. I think it is from thinking for years low fat, low calorie to loose, but I didn't loose, just kept gaining. So it is hard to accept that I should eat more fat in my diet. I don't remember the percentage of fat you should be eating, but it is high, so that your body uses it as fuel. I am also going to try some things that are suppose to help Insulin resistance. (Inositol, cod liver oil, etc.) I am thinking that this is my biggest problem, because your insulin can be high and your glucose under control. I keep hoping that if I do this (Atkins) long enough maybe IR will improve and I will start loosing faster. I use to have all the water retention all the time, and that is one thing that has really improved. I actually have ankles again.

I have seen some suttle changes over this 6 months. I used to have a lot of brown spots (liver or age spots) and I am amazed how much they have faded and I actually have white looking arms and hands. Just keep trying and adjusting things to try to make things better, because, the way I look at it, I am 18 lbs. less than 6 months ago and if I don't follow this WOE I would really be in bad shape. But, I keep investigating and reading these forums and maybe something will help. I also have a lot of questions and I am not sure where to begin, so I keep reading. I think if you eat a lot of carbs for one meal or day you are just making your insulin level higher. Have you had your insulin level checked. Mine was 46 (normal is 1 - 14). I have to go in for another battery of tests (I should have gone a month ago but I have been putting it off). Hang in there. I will be watching for your posts to see if anything helps, so I can try it too.