#64   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 11:49

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGoat
2) if the body runs better on fats, why not give it fats during a long race (like a 100 mile run)? This is related to a question I've been asking on a few low-carb, high-fat sites and still haven't gotten any useful answer to yet: what should a low-carb, high-fat distance runner eat during a multi-hour event?
Have you seen this post by Alan Couzens, he talks about fuel use during a multi-hour event. Really fascinating to me too.

What you eat during the multi-hour seems to depend on how fat adapted you are. The more fat adapted, the longer glucose lasts. So maybe you could get by with something like pemmican. Wellness Meats sells it with cherries, I never tried it but maybe that's why the fruit is in there - in case glucose from all sources is running out.

I have a marathon running friend that just freezes blobs of peanut butter, banana, and protein powder.

Fat Burning Essentials

Quote:
At typical marathon intensities for the average runner (~17-18kcal/min) the average athlete will be out of juice before the 2hr mark. Unless your name is Haile Gebrsellassie, this obviously presents a problem :-)

In fact, the longer the race becomes, the more the limiter becomes metabolic rather than aerobic, as many formidable 10K runners discover when they try their first marathon. Quick example - Two athletes (both 160lb).

From the table, obviously athlete A is traditionally ‘fitter’ with that big VO2max that we would all like to have. However, assuming similar glycogen stores and running economy and all of those contributing variables, Athlete B will take longer to fatigue because at that pace of running, costing 18kcal/min for both runners, Athlete B is able to kick in 10% or 1.8kcal of the energy from fat. Therefore in carbohydrate terms, it is only costing him 16.2kcal/min. Or, put another way, like the Energizer Bunny, he just lasts longer!!