#37   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 14:44
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Absolutely!

How many people actually pray and ask God (Higher Power) for the strength needed to stay away from carbs. I know I do. Every day is a new day that I have to ask. The food that kept me full yesterday doesn't feed me for today, and all I have is a daily reprive. Each day I start over with a fresh clean slate. Granted that if I was abstinent yesterday, my chaces are better today (physical cravings).

However, there is more to it than this...this is only the first half of the 1st step. There's more. What people (myself included) dont' realize is that eating fills a void. I found out that unless I fill that void, I am restless irritable and discontent unless I could once again get the ease and comfort that carbs bring to me at once.

In other words, when it comes to sugar and crabs, I can't live with them because they are ruining the quality of my life and causing me pain, yet I can't live without them because they do something for me that they don't do for normal eaters. How many times has food been the object of pleasure, happiness, celebration, comfort and escape for me? The feeling it gave me was so subtle and sublime that I pursued it even though it caused me some of the worst pain. I believe that is a major reason why people fail on diets and even while low carbing.

There are many who find low carb and that's it....they change their lives forever. I believe that phenomena is because as described on page 20 of the Big Book....there is a certain type of (hard) heavy eater.

I'll quote it.

"He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason - ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor - becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention."

This is dangerous for me, because I wanted to think I was in this category for a long time. 10 years. However nothing but our own experience under an HONEST appraisal of our actions could convince us.

I see it here often, but I have to refrain from pen and tongue often, because people don't want to hear it. I can't preach to anyone, it keeps me from being help later.

sooooooooorry so long.