#15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-19, 11:05

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
my immediate thought is yes, some keto advocates, some versions of keto. But my personal bias at this point--there may be some value to those deep leafy greens etc., but the most nutritious part of the diet is mostly the animal foods. Also I follow a genuinely ketogenic diet--I actually care that it probably has me throwing lots of ketones, so limitless above ground veggies would still drive my carbohydrate intake way too high. We don't need a fig leaf (are fig leaves edible?) to cover up the shame of eating a diet that's high in meat.
I have similar thoughts when I hear people trying sell how much lettuce we're allowed to eat. I eat vegetables and I like them. Some days I wish there was a bit more wiggle room in my diet for some more green beans and I hope there is eventually. Fruit, too, which for now is just a few berries. But, yes, I really want to stop hearing people trying to cover up that we eat "a lot" of meat. I do eat a wide variety of food and manage to do that while "foregoing almost all carbohydrates"--and while eating a lot of ribeyes.

I don't think people really understand what giving up most carbohydrates means and I think Scher was probably trying to clarify. Some people think it means giving up potatoes and dessert, but oatmeal is okay, right? Other people think it means just eating meat and you're not "allowed" to eat vegetables. It's really confusing for a lot of people. But Scher's phrasing doesn't clear that up. Maybe something like "followers forego almost all carbohydrates, eating diets that can be rich in a wide variety of vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce and other greens, eggplant, avocados, olives, artichokes, and more, alongside nutrient dense animal foods."