View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-19, 11:53

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Any diet that results in weight loss does so because it reduces calorie intake. The ketogenic diet, when used for weight loss, is no different. The salient questions are whether it is sustainable and whether it promotes long-term health.
I agree with this. I just don't think that "being hungry....really hungry," as Sniggle so aptly said, is sustainable. And I don't think that eating a ton of carbs, jacking up your blood sugar all the time and destroying your insulin metabolism and your energy burning metabolism is healthy.

Also, lots of the side effects they're talking about either disappear after a couple of months once people adapt to this healthier way of eating (and in the process get rid of the side effects of a high carb diet like inflammation, high BG, fatty liver, etc.) or are related only to strict medically ketogenic diets, such as the ones prescribed for epilepsy. In children, these diets are too low protein and can have some problematic effects. In older adults, low protein can also be a problem.

But what people are popularly calling "keto" is really just a low-carb diet of the sort that's been around for decades. As Drs. Mike and Mary Dan Eades made clear in Protein Power, low carb diets should not be low protein.