View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 00:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's awesome, Bob. I completely agree that a lot of chronic inflammatory conditions are happening because you're eating something that's making your immune system get angry.

I first heard of arachidonic acid from Protein Power Lifeplan, and the Drs Eades stated that not everyone is sensitive to it. I think this is true of many of these pro-inflammatory foods. I also think it's a matter of "the dose makes the poison." I will flare up big time with a serving of corn on the cob, for example, but there are traces of corn in deli meats (corn syrup solids, etc) and it doesn't bother me. I also seem to flare up with nuts.

I think there are two elephants in the room this doctor is missing: grains, and seed oils.

My first clue that I had a problem with gluten was one of my knuckles swelling as if someone had hit me with a hammer. Then it appeared in the knuckle on the opposite hand. I've been gluten-free and pain-free for about a decade now... but if I cheated or accidentally consumed enough gluten? It comes back, and even popped up on other knuckles.

If this sounds complicated and overwhelming... well, eventually you get so fed up of the pain that you're willing to buckle down and try anything, right? I tweaked my diet back in the spring even more strict than it already is, because I was tired of ten months of chronic painful shoulder tendinitis that just wouldn't go away. Like the initial jump to "normal" Atkins or LC, it just takes some planning ahead and more mindful shopping.