View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-19, 14:24

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default The Arthritis/Bursitis diet (it's low carb - plus)

I have inherited bursitis in my hip from my father (he didn't do it on purpose). I also developed some arthritis from an injury to a little finger playing basketball.

About 15 years ago the bursitis was so painful I couldn't walk two blocks without stopping to sit. Due to the injured finger I avoided playing G#s on my sax because that little finger didn't like the stiff G# key and on the guitar I substituted my ring finger.

A doctor recommended the Arthritis/Bursitis diet. As he wasn't my doctor, he told me it's always good to check with your primary before changing your diet. Being self-employed and uninsured I had no primary so I just went with it.

In two months I was 90% better, In 6 months 99% better. Now I walk 4 miles a day a few times per week, I don't skip the G# notes and I use the pinky finger on the guitar fretboard.

I quit taking SAMe, Ibuprofen, MSM, Nettle Leaf, and ginger, ... plus I no longer rub emu oil (Blue Emu), Ben-Gay, and Boswellia creams into my hip. I still take Glucosamine and Chondroitin because the same doctor recommended that saying they will supply sulfur which is needed to keep the cartilage healthy.

I went from a candidate for hip replacement to 99.99% cured. Once or twice a year I might get a slight discomfort in the hip where I used to have stabbing pain. The discomfort is not enough to call pain or even irritation, just enough dull sensation to remind me that I used to have pain there. It's usually caused by my eating something I know I shouldn't like a couple of eggs.

Everyone I have shared this diet with have had great results with it. I don't know of a single person that it hasn't worked for unless they cheated or quit the diet.

Do you have arthritis or bursitis and want to be pain free without drugs?

Here is the diet:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachadonic acid)
* Pasta (high glycemic index)
* Juices (high glycemic index)
* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
* Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
* Oatmeal
* Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
* Olives and olive oil
* Peanuts and other nuts
* Whey proteins
* Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Since I'm keto I need less carbs and more fat than this diet suggests. I eat fewer than 20 cabs/day and for fats I found that coconut oil, MCT oil, nut butters, pork fat and cheese/butter do not bother me.

If I eat egg yolks I'll feel it the next day, same for chicken, so I avoid them. I never liked organ meats so that didn't matter.

I was low carb before I found this diet, and I've followed it since around 2005. the hip and finger are still just fine.

I know the diet is limiting, but I strongly believe if I can tackle a problem with diet, and avoid prescriptions medications and NSAIDs and the damage they do while alleviating the problem, I'm better off in the long run.

Bob
Sponsored Links