Thread: Zero Carb, wow!
View Single Post
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 08:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't think the stomach contents would so closely resemble ours, there's a big difference in our digestive processes. I'm willing to cede that some of the Inuit did eat this.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...articles_id=653

Quote:
Another method for “cooking” foods was done directly by the animal. The stomach contents of caribou contain lichen and plant material, which in a fresh state is toxic to humans.

“These naturally fermented foods came from the stomachs of freshly killed moose and caribou, or from ptarmigan intestines,” says Sparks. “With a slightly sweet, earthy taste, they were a hunter’s reward, and very welcome.”

Raw meat, which had not been frozen, could cause stomach problems, so hunters would “cook” meat through chemical alteration inside the warm caribou stomach, or rumen, immediately after harvest. They didn’t have camp stoves, seal oil lamps didn’t travel with them, and even a quick fire was often impossible on the treeless tundra. The stomach acid, warm temperature, and partially digested lichen would “cook” the caribou meat on the spot and create a necessary, nutritious, and tasty meal.

But obviously by calorie, the stomach contents will have been a small portion of what an animal had to offer. And I've never seen anything suggesting that the explorers who followed the Inuit's lead went so far as eating from the stomach.