Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 11:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Love it! Thanks

I often wonder why Atkins and the Eades didn't do the simple research on their patients that he suggests. Just collect the data!

Instead of telling us - "I have treated thousands and thousands of patients . . " Show us the data you have collected on your patients!

I would have liked to see that, too--but at the same time, I'm not sure it would have worked any better than the way he approached things. A medicine show works just as well for somebody who actually has the goods. Atkins was a good song and dance man.

Showing the data in such a way that the scientific community will take you seriously is sort of expensive. Getting a publisher to publish a book of data for the public is unlikely, publishers just want something snappy with a cheesecake recipe at the back.

Even Unwin's data I take with a grain of salt--do people know what diet Unwin advocates, when they first go to him? Also sometimes what's being measured is the efficacy of the practitioner in inspiring patients to adhere to the diet. The most infamous example (I hope) is the Rice diet guy whipping patients to encourage compliance. Something Atkins did do is assist Dr. Westman to do a controlled study on the diet.