#12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-16, 07:29

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Check the "Ball Blue Book" book on preserving. They have (in my edition from 2009) a (very short) section on "low sugar, low salt" recipes. Mainly they recommend using sugar substitute instead of sugar, or cutting back on real sugar, or none at all - for the reasons given above; sugar isn't necessary for the safety of canned fruits. The Ball/Bernardin site probably has the same information.
I also don't understand the addition of sugar to many recipes, either for canning or just for dinner. I was astonished to learn some while ago that many people seem to believe that sugar is a necessary ingredient in spaghetti sauce. But then, I've never particularly liked cooked tomatoes, so usually ate my pasta with a herb & butter sauce ... So what do I know? LOL. I've always been one to play around with the sugar/salt/herb/spice quantities in recipes (NOT when it comes to safety in canning however)

My Ball book is missing. So frustrating. We went through a cleaning binge and the kitchen, which is mostly used by my husband, was cleaned by him, too. He can't remember what he did with it. I can't complain, he does feed us almost 100% of the time.

When the season is over I may copy in recipes/links to recipes for the SF items I'm canning. It's ridiculous how many things have sugar for seemingly no good reason! One of the Mrs. Wages mixes has no sugar but you're supposed to add it when you open the jar; I think I'll try that one and see how it goes without adding anything at all.