#36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-18, 05:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Because of my recent research into ketogenic diet to treat neurological diseases, I had my DNA tested with 23andme. (Health + Ancestry) I don't have genetic markers for ANY major diseases. Also, I've been following Atkins more or less since 1972. Quite honestly, I hit the genetic jackpot and then I ate (what we call now) Keto.

The only treatment available for my condition is having the blood removed. We don't feel there's a need for that at this time.

I view genetics as a " maybe" effect-- it has a name that is new to me : epigenetics. This means that we have genes that turn on and turn off as they are triggered. ANd food quality can trigger this on and off. Eating keto seems to be one method of keeping the genes on the right track.

RE blood donation-
My brother has donated regularly since he turned 18. I cant imagine how much that adds up to. I have donated too in my early years, but My blood is rare enough that it is tossed if no suitable recipient is found; other blood types are universal donors, while mine is not. The Red Cross often needs blood, especially in late summer when donors are vacationing instead of donating. Getting suitable donars is difficult-- lots of reasons why people dont meet the requirements.