#4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 16:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
There is a lot of good stuff (IMHO) on fasting and IF on the "Livin' la vida low carb" podcast. He is very into fasting and IF, and has terrific guests and (my personal favorite) audio recordings of medical and LC/HF conferences and cruises and such. The DIET DOCTOR site also had a lot.

so-
1993 CAD -
"Rachael's Discovery" (page 6)- she had a test that was rescheduled, so she ended up fasting until after 4 pm. She weighed 268. She writes that after the test she ate soup, salad, veal parm, pasta coffee and 2 crullers. The next day she had lost 2 pounds- and decided to do the same IF schedule the next day. Rachel ate only dinner, and lost 150 pounds.

This story was not repeated in the CALP book (1997), CAHHP (1999) or Healthy for Life (1996). In the 1996 book she says "When I discovered that, by saving these food (carbs- my note) for one of my three daily meals, I could enjoy all of the carbohydrates I loved and needed without suffering the hunger and weight gain....".
In these books, the Hellers explored the concept of insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome. In a later book - one that I don't have - Later, Rachael admitted that she had started to regain weight and went back to IF to maintain and even lose more. I think it was called THE STRESS EATING CURE and came out in 2010.

I choose the CALP plan for me because I believed I had insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome. I also didn't want to weigh/measure my food or count carbs or calories. I liked the idea that I could eat a pretty "normal" dinner as long as I had salad then a balance of carbs/protein and vegies. I am not sure exactly what Rachael Heller did or didn't do to lose weight, but I also think the science behind their plan was solid and still makes sense to me.

I hope this helps.
E