#9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-19, 21:46

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

From the early days of my journal:

Quote:
It was now December 2015, and I'd paid for and completed the full online beginner Banting course. I'd been going long enough now to decide that this was going to be something worth sticking to, so I began to set some goals:

* Get to 120kg sometime in January 2016, which was my weight when I left high school.
* Get to 110kg by the end of April 2016, when a friend from overseas will be coming to stay with me.
* Get to 100kg by the following October 2016, a full year after I'd started.

The latter two were entirely speculative; I truly had no idea where I going to end up with this. I figured it was likely that I would level off naturally over time, that surely to ever reach a weight approaching normal was still a bridge too far. I had never stopped dreaming, but I had given up hope long ago, and it felt positively strange to begin to have that hope again, so I tried to be careful not to get too far ahead of myself.

Then in early 2016:

Quote:
One day in early March while randomly googling at work during my lunch hour, I found a link to these forums. That night I registered. As part of that registration process I had to think about my goals some more; here everything is expressed in pounds, not kilos. Out came the converter. It looks like I started at about 291 pounds, now what to enter for a final goal weight? I punched in a few various numbers, and settled on 191. That's a loss of exactly 100, or roughly 45kg. That would take me to 87kg, a full 50kg from my peak weight. 87kg also roughly marks the point where I would officially drop from "obese" to "overweight" on the BMI scale, so that'll do for now.

Goal setting was a really hard thing for me to do, because my weight problem had been with me for my entire life. I'd never known what it was like to be anything resembling a "normal" size, so I had literally no idea of what I was capable of achieving. So for me it basically just came down to guesswork. Lucky for me I turned out to be pretty close.