#80   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbird
Can you help an oldie please? I am 81 and 56lbs overweight I'm prescribed med's to lower my blood pressure but refused to take Statins. I have arthritic knees and hips which I'm sure will improve if I can lose some blubber. I lost about 22lbs on Atkins several years ago but I'm afraid I've lost faith since Dr Atkins died. I still use skimmed milk but intend to switch to double cream. I have noted the very high fat content recommended in this thread. Coconut oil is very expensive here in the UK but I love butter and wondered about cooking in lard which is very cheap here. I'd love some advice please.

Dear Oldbird, I commend you for wanting to help yourself feel better now. We never should stop learning.

Dr Atkins, one of my LC heroes, died because he slipped on some ice, hit his head and went into a coma. Then his heart stopped. Why should that make you afraind of his way of eating? Why should a fall on ice make anyone afraid of FAT?

Use lard and grass fed butter. Use the good fats that you can afford. Use Olive oil on your salads. Eat full fat yogurt and cheeses.

I went off all grains and my arthritis was dramatically reduced. Now, I find that Wheat causes pain in my joints. Fat has replaced most of my carbs and all of my wheat.

I hope you find a way to add fat into your day, you will be rewarded.
However, remember, FAT+CARBS=pounds. You must reduce your carbs.