View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-10, 23:28

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks Awriter! Thanks also Black57 (though haven't read yet!)

Lisa --- Just read your post at:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?
t=405430&page=1&pp=15

Very informative, but also scary. There are 5 of us in my family. Three of five have autoimmune diseases, and my sister is now positive for the antibodies. Both parents are adult onset type 2's, though neither are more than 15 pounds overweight (both are 83.) Worst of all, my mother has the Primary Billiary Cirrhosis - which is a rare autoimmune liver disease. My siblings and I are afraid of what the future holds for us. After reading a lot of your research (not just that post but several others) I can see the extra pounds I have gained, the Hashimoto's, and other things could really just be "symptoms."

Do you think there is any correlation between the development of autoimmune disorders with leptin resistance? Since they don't know what causes autoimmune conditions, I'd love to hear your thoughts. It's funny you mentioned in one post that you thought specifically about the bile ducts being paramount to good health. I'd love to hear that my mother could actually have a chance to live longer.

She has had this condition for over 14 years now and it has affected her heart (due to the constant high blood pressure and high triglycerides that drugs don't seem to control things at all.) She just had two stents put in - one for a 90% blockage and another for a 95% blockage. I'd report her numbers on here, if she'd let me, but I am sure it would scare the hell out of me (which is why she wouldn't let me - doesn't want me stressed!!!)

Mom is a poster child for GCBC in that she has never has a weight problem but has never exercised, but also she has never dieted and has no clue about either. She was born the way she was, and I am realize I am lucky now that I never have had a significant weight problem. But I feel I very may well be developing one (my sister is overweight!) if things keep moving in this direction. I, like everyone else that reads here, wants to figure out how to stop it. Interestingly, my brother has Hashi's and type 2 diabetes, but has become BONE THIN!!! WTF??? Like a reverse reverse T3? They have confirmed he is hypo. I can't figure this one out at all! He looks unwell too. He is 54.

So, will the endo listen, or will they just be worried about the goiter and how to shrink it? Is the goiter a "side effect" from the RT3 or leptin resistance?

Forgive me if I sound like an idiot with so many questions. I am so tired of being cold. I am going to get a heating pad now to put on my feet or else I'll have to submerse myself in hot water. I have socks on under a goose down comforter. This is bullshit too! I can be sweating during a workout and my feet are cold. It's time for me to do something about this myself. I would if not for the goiter....believe me.