View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-18, 08:37

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I too have teens, and starting the beginning of November we are trying to go wheat free and bread free, and will continue to modify the teen diet in this area thru December.

In stead of the breads, I am pushing more vegetable based foods like: winter squash, sweet potatoes and English potatoes of all colors. ( We grew blue potatoes this last summer.)

Spagetti is long gone from the diet as of about 6 months ago. And we use more cauliflower, broccali and spagetti squash instead to fill the plate.

Basically I make a hearty spagetti sauce filled with sausage or ground meat and serve in a bowl rather than on a plate piled with spagettti.

I have one teen that gravitates to the carbs; and another that will eat them if available. Im speaking of sweet pastries, and breads. According to some, the grain products are a health hazard, and each source gives a multitude of reasons.

We saute green leafy vegies for breakfast, like arugala, or mixed greens with baby spinach. A little butter and CO, and lightly salted. Served along side sausages.

We try to eat healthy fats. No more solvent-based vegetable oils. Instead butter, CO, avocado oil, sesame oils, animal fats. ( We are trying to more to a higher percentage of grassfed animal fats).

My kids will also eat fish like salmon or cod, even canned fish. Usually a sauce can be helpful to change up the flavors.

Please understand progress is slow to change eating habits; my kids have been on this journey for a long time. We are not afraid of fats, and meats but are concerned about the the effects of grains, sugars and processed foods.

We dont zero out on anything, but try to make good choices when we can.

Glad to hear your daughter has recovered from a neck injury, I remember falling off a horse and my neck hurt for many years. SHe will heal. Good food helps.