Registered Member

Plan: Atkins restart
Stats: 165/159.9/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:Not sure
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu
Hi B,
Welcome to LCing. And no, this is certainly not an off-beat post, because I KNOW how much I searched the net to find an Indian version of Atkins with no success. So if I can help, GREAT!!
The diet scene in India is totally tilted in favour of low fat-high carb...people recoil in horror when I tell them I'm eating cheese and butter and all the rest of it. So I decided to do my own Indian version and see if I made any headway. I'm happy to say I did (only some so far though!), and I'm happy to share it with you (and anyone else who may be interested).
Since nutritional values are not listed on the packets, I suggest you visit some sites which list the nutritional values of different foods (google uncle should help!) and familiarise yourself with the carb values. Besides this, my pointers are:
1. Decaf coffee IS NOT available here, so if you are a coffee addict I suggest you get your supplies along.
2. Breakfast: eggs, cheese, capsicum, sausages and all the rest of the breakfast things you can get here. But the frozen sausages available in the super markets all have phosphates, so you might like to thing twice before buying.Artificial sweeteners are also freely available at chemists(Equal, sweet n' low --no splenda)
3.Tandoori chicken/fish/mutton available freely.
4. I suggest you bring the soup cubes with you---not available here.
5. Normal veggies-no problem...cauliflower, Okra, onions, tomatoes, spinach, cucumber, beans, mushrooms,.....
Thre may be regional differences depending on where in India you're going to be, but by and large the above stuff should be available anywhere.
Have a great trip and do let me know how you got on once you get back.
Bye, Anu

Thanks for the great help anu...This will really help..
One more question..when you eat out, what kinda food do you order? I doubt indian restaurants provides nutritional info, but are there any LC dishes which you can order without hesitation?

Thanks again..
B