Thread: Zero Carb, wow!
View Single Post
  #244   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-18, 13:26

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Protein into glucose isn't rare. It's just not that fast.

And--when we're talking about high fat ratio versus other ketogenic plans, things are very different. There is absolutely no doubt that the ketogenic diet given for epilepsy, or the one advocated by D'Agostino and Seyfield will increase ketone metabolism and decrease glucose metabolism. The studies sourced by smart folk like Amber O'Hearn don't actually address protein in those ranges.

Suppose I eat lots of protein. Maybe I'll increase my lean mass. I won't turn into the Hulk. Once I've hit the point of minimal return, any increase from increasing protein will be... minimal.

Now, if habitual protein intake relates to levels of gluconeogenesis in a ketogenic diet--is there reason to believe that no matter how much protein you take in, your body will just keep ramping up glucose production? Or will the process become saturated at some point--and then increasing protein will no more increase glucose synthesis, than increasing protein in the other example would make me Hulk out? Will added protein increase gluconeogenesis? Maybe the question is backwards--is there some point of decreased protein intake where gluconeogenesis will be decreased? We already know of one--fasting. Answer the question, and you'll know that as long as the starting protein is below that point--then adding protein will increase glucose production, until you get to that point of diminished returns.