View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 16:04
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Jake - ok so how weird was that? I was just posting in your journal and I go to check my gym log and there is a post from you. I felt for you 'cause being sick sucks, especially when you're on a roll with your fitness.

To answer your question, I spend about 2 hours at the gym. I take about a 1/2 hour to warm up and do abs and isometric work...push-ups...bridges, etc. I use about 1/2 hour to do resistance/strength training, which right now is determined by what my trainer has shown me. Today it was squats and pull-ups and such. Sometimes I spill over depending on the rest I need in-between (for that quick-step thing I do, shuffling my feet fast on a step - kinda like climbing a hill and trying to keep my feet touching light - I'm gasping for breath and running for the water when I'm done...I need extra recovery time for that). The remaining hour of my workout is comprised of 30-45 minutes of some form of cardio, which I switch out and try to use intervals with, as you mentioned. (HIIT is in my future, though, but for now I'm winging it.) I use at least 10 minutes to stretch out really well. My flexibility has truly come back to me...the kind I'd send in the days of martial arts and dancing (I did tap in many musicals years and years ago). So I concentrate a lot of that. My next goal is yoga, which I'm trying carefully to incorporate into a hectic schedule.

You're right, it IS a lot to do, but I'm trying to be thorough yet efficient with my time. I figure if I do this just 3x a week, then I need to combine it as I have. It's difficult with my schedule to promise time to drive to the gym and workout every day...so this is my compromise.

If I can get myself to do some working out at home (e.g. yoga) that's cool, but otherwise I allow myself days off plus if I'm not up to the challenge of doing it all, I will split up the cardio and do that the next day (with I did on Th/Fr of this week).

How's it been for you doing something (nearly) every day? I'm not sure I could commit to that and not freak out (about all the work I have waiting for me at home and feeling guilty about being away).