View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 07:42
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I had my blood drawn yesterday for a standard lipid test. Now I'm just waiting on the results. Since my March doctor visit I've reverted back to my high fiber, slightly higher net carb version of LCHF. Going VLC/Deep Keto over the winter shot my LDL back up to 170 -- alarming my doctor (again). She asked that I "work on it" and start doing quarterly cholesterol tests (again) to check on my progress. So I went back to eating the way I did when I was having the most success with getting doctor pleasing cholesterol numbers.

I did nothing special in prep for this test. I have been weight stable in recent weeks. I ate plenty this past weekend but I also worked out quite a bit. Approximate macros: 15% carbs, 27% protein, 58% fat. Net carbs around 40. 30 to 50g of daily fiber from flax/chia seed muffins, psyillium powder, and induction veggies. I did not do the Feldman protocol - so no loading up on fat in advance of the test. Because I didn't have the lab taken until 4pm, I fasted longer than normal before the blood draw (18 hours). I expect the results this afternoon.

I've done enough diet tweaking, testing, and N=1's on this subject to be fairly certain of this... my LDL & TC will be down from my March test. VLDL will be very low. Triglycerides will be slightly up, but still terrific. And finally, HDL will be stellar - as it has been for the past few years. That's my prediction.

FYI: Requestatest.com is having a 10% off on Men's Health testing. You don't have to be a man to get the discount. I chose to do a standard lipid and it cost < $27. An NMR is $99 -- $91 after the discount. That's the best price that I've seen for the comprehensive cholesterol test. If you have Labcorps nearby, then getting tests done this way is a cost effective option. Paying for an office visit at my doctor costs twice as much as what I paid doing the test myself.

HERE
is a list of all the Men's Health tests that fall under the promotion. Be sure to use the promo code MEN10 at checkout. It is quite a long list -- including a few of interest that I've never had done. I may consider another test or two before this promo ends on June 30.

http://requestatest.com/mens-health-testing

UPDATED: The lab results are in. Here are my latest results along with my prior results for comparison...

In March 2017 my numbers were:

Total Cholesterol: .. . . . . . 166
Triglycerides: . . . . . . . . . 65
HDL-C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 96
LDL-C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 57 <-
VLDL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
HDL to Trig Ratio . . . . . . . 0.7

My March 2018 results (eating VLC/Keto) were:

Total Cholesterol: .. . . . . . 262
Triglycerides: . . . . . . . . . 67
HDL-C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 79
LDL-C: . . . . . . . . . . .. . 170 <-
VLDL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
HDL to Trig Ratio . . . . . . . 0.9

Today's Results after reverting back to a higher fiber, slightly higher carb version of LCHF:

Total Cholesterol: .. . . . . . 207
Triglycerides: . . . . . . . . . 47
HDL-C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . 79
LDL-C: . . . . . . . . . . .. . 119 <-
VLDL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .9
HDL to Trig Ratio . . . . . . . 0.6

There's nothing wrong with those new numbers. All of the "bad" scores went down. My doctor will be pleased. She's told me that she has never seen a VLDL score of less than 10. I guess now she has. Looks like I was wrong about one thing on my prediction... the triglyceride score was better than last time.