View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-24, 04:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
He notes that we eat only 15g fibre daily, half the recommended amount, and that the standard western diet, high in refined grains, processed meat, sugary drinks and deep-fried food, is pro-inflammatory and “antibiotic” — ie bad for our gut bugs. Are you resistant to consuming 30g fibre daily or eating 30 different plants a week? As well as being in fruit and vegetables, fibre is also found in nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, grains and legumes. Lyman cites yet more of Cryan’s research, on middle-aged mice with some signs of inflammation in their brains. He slowed it by giving them inulin, a prebiotic found in vegetables like leeks.

The gut-immune system interplay is one reason, over the long term, eliminating vegetables completely may not be the healthiest approach. When I ate VLC, I would take fiber and vitamin supplements. For me now, vegetables provide delicious fiber and balanced whole food nutrients to increase satiety for almost no calories. I prefer eating crunchy carrots, snap peas and humus, sweet berries and NF yogurt over pepperoni and pork rinds.
Weight loss and a happy microbiome!