#12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 15:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Excellent advice offered up.

Jandy, I hear you. I've been there, too. So many of us have.

If you're comfortable, feel free to clue us in on the nature of the troubles you're going through. Financial woes, for example... we can offer up lots of money-saving tips. If you're not comfortable sharing here, make sure you have a sounding board somewhere, either people in real life or somewhere online. (I always feel better venting anonymously on forums, myself!)

I can tell you what generally works for me:

- Scaring the crap out of myself. I'm not 25 anymore. Watching older relatives go through the consequences of I'll-eat-whatever-the-heck-I-want is scary. I don't know if you have any diet-related health issues or not yet, but get scared.

- Make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to cheat. Analyze why it's that easy for you to binge, and make some serious changes. Get the crap out of the house. If you have a family, it's important to get their support. If I wanted to binge, for example, I'd have one of two choices: one is to get dressed, put on my shoes and coat, walk to the convenience store where everything's massively overpriced, and get dinged $1.50 in Interac fees to buy something! I'm such a tightwad, that's utterly abhorrent to me. So it's not happening. The other option is to spend an hour and a half in the kitchen and then have to clean up all of the dishes: my only higher-carb foods are mixes and baking ingredients. I'm lazy, so again, it's not happening.

- A corollary to that point is to know thyself. I'm impulsive, but I'm also way too lazy to come up with high-carb binge food, and that's why those tricks work for me. YMMV.

- Make it completely *awesome* to stay on plan. Treat yourself, even if you have to divert money from elsewhere in your budget. Do without something else. There's hardly anything more important than nourishing your body properly. Distract yourself with your favorite cheeses, avocados, steaks, bacon, seafood, whatever.

- Make it completely *easy* to stay on plan. Keep lots of quick and easy foods handy. When you cook, make enough for easily-reheatable leftovers.

- You're right on the money by stating that your main goal is to stop the bingeing. Forget about your weight at first. What I do if/when I've been off-plan is get back on with high-fat, very-low-carb, and forget about induction limits or anything like that. I go for ketosis myself. If it takes a giant bowl of whipped heavy cream and Splenda or a whole block of cream cheese to get you back on track, just do it. Give yourself permission to binge on those things if you have to. Priority #1 is get rid of cravings, stabilize your moods and get the carbage out of your system. The rest will happen later. First things first.

- Start now and put it all on the table. If you fail, you fail and try again, but start NOW. In my sig, there's the quote, "Every day is day one." It truly is for me. It's easy to get cocky if you have 15, 150 or even more consecutive successful days under your belt. It's really helped me to consider every day a fresh start whether I've been kicking arse on plan or not, because every day is a new day that I could easily throw it all away and it would be the beginning of a downward spiral.

Good luck and don't give up.