View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-17, 12:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Guess we were all too busy ruining other people's children's teeth to see this.

Quote:
Dr. Hall agreed. “The idea that people who regain lost weight are necessarily slothful and gluttonous is an unfortunate stigmatization that is not based in fact,” he said.

Interesting take on this. There's calories in/calories out as a simple thing where failure is overindulgence and lack of diligence in exercise, lots of people do mean this. Then there's Hall's take, acknowledging that tackling calories in and out head on can be extremely difficult for some people--what looks like failure to try to a judgemental stranger can be the result of a downright heroic effort. Sometimes CICO advocates get unfairly accused of blame the vicim.

Activity is seen as a cause here rather than an effect. Pour two cups of water into a 250 ml glass and a 500 ml glass. I guess you could say overflow caused the 250 ml glass to hold less water. But it's pretty clear the lesser capacity of the cup caused the overflow.

Quote:
Those who kept the weight off “are countering the drop in metabolism with physical activity,” Dr. Hall said.

The drive to be active is as much subject to a drop after weightloss as other things that go into overall metabolic rate. It's not universal. Some rat strains, given access to a running wheel, will do themselves real damage, quicken starvation on a reduced calorie diet with excessive running. Others will become less active with calorie restriction.

My most recent day's food makes a big difference to how long I want my workouts to be. Many people get antsy if they sit too long, two people could be at the same body composition/weight, same basal metabolic rate, but one gets twitchy if they sit long enough, the other doesn't.