Old Wed, Mar-20-19, 12:48

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Good stuff, as always.

SUBSIDIES also support some area of agriculture. It is a less than straightforward system. Like, support peanut farmers by providing peanut butter to schools at a better break point. A ready market thru the school lunch program.

Production of grains in this country depend on farmers getting loans to buy the seed. And who can find $1 in their own bank account to buy that one big piece of equipment. Their margin of profit is ridiculously low. And this is how prices are kept down. AND why the producers need to sell to other countries to drive up the prices here.

( Im all for letting these fields go back to grasses and run a few head of cattle for the grass-fed beef market.)

Peanut allotment is something on it's own that I know nothing about. My Dad had an allotment of certain amount of acres in an area that had stopped raising peanuts and he was raising cattle so didn't need it and sold it to someone who was going to grow peanuts. Apparently you can't grow them without that Allotment.

Another thing I know nothing about is Crop Insurance and farmers must enroll and pay a premium but I guess it's federally backed and pays in case of crop losses. Think about the risks due to rain, temps, disease, drought etc...

Prices and subsidies are connected to the Commodities Market which again, I know nothing about.

All I know is that only 1% of our population produces the food in the US. We do not need them to go out of business, unless you want to depend on China for your food supply.