View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-24, 13:09

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Interesting reading.

At this point in my life - while losing weight would truly be a nice bonus - for me eating LC is mostly a matter of avoiding voracious/constant hunger. (which is an effect of the hyperinsulinism/hypoglycemia) I've just been trying to figure out if I could cut back on fats without a return to insatiable hunger.

I've never gone as low as keto level carbs, since I get at least 50 g carbs between the plain greek yogurt, some berries, various veggies on a daily basis, and of course the few carbs that come with eggs and cheese.

I definitely eat high protein (at least 130 g/day, significantly more most days), but every time I try to cut back on the fat, I end up with a satiation problem - significantly more hungry.

That's why I think it must be purely related to the hyperinsulin/hypoglycemia. I'm not sure it's even possible to change my tolerance levels, simply because I've had this since I was a newborn.

The lifelong condition is a story in and of itself - newborns don't normally sleep in excess of 14-1/2 hours solid without waking or getting hungry, and you don't usually need to go to physically hurt a newborn to get them to wake up enough to suck on a bottle... but this went on for the first several months of my life.

They had tried test after test when I was young trying to figure out why I was always so lethargic - it wasn't until I had completed my freshman year in college that the Dr finally suggested trying a glucose tolerance test, which I failed. But it was the eureka moment when it finally became clear that "normal" levels of carbs were my kryptonite: raising my blood sugar enough that I waaaay overproduced insulin, resulting in such low blood sugar that I became lethargic, even if I didn't sleep nearly as much as I had as an infant.

(As a younger teenager - years prior to that diagnosis, I had figured out that if I ate again, I'd have the energy to do things... for an hour or two until I was feeling lethargic again. So eat again, get a little done, feel lethargic, rinse and repeat. And of course back then I wasn't eating protein for snacks - protein was for sit down meals. Snacks were always carby, which just kept the blood sugar spike and crash roller coaster going.)

Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel here (although this is the short version), just wanted to make it clear that I'm not ignoring the information you're providing, just trying to figure out based on my experience with diet what tactics to try.