View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-15, 11:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Very timely posts from Ken and Whited, as I just had an NMR Lipid panel done with the normal CBC and other standard tests.

From 6 months ago, my LDL-C went from 111 to 161.

In the most recent tests my HDL is 63 while my Triglycerides came in at 62. Total cholesterol was 236, which I ignore completely. However, in the NMR Lipid panel, they do a CVD risk score taking into account Small LDL-P and LDL Size. I was <90 on LDL-P, which is off the scale on the lowest risk. I was 21.1 on size which means I have large fluffy LDL and it too is on the low risk portion of the scale.

They also did an LP-IR score which indicates my tendency toward Insulin Resistance, and my score was <25 which is off the scale on the Insulin Sensitive side, which is what I'm trying to achieve with IF and my ketogenic WOE.

So, taking all this into account, I felt pretty good until my GP focused on the LDL-C increase from the last test and suggested I should consider a statin. No way I'm even considering statins. In response to the test and specifically regarding the LDL results, I've been doing some research and found that there is still some confusion and no agreement on LDL blood volumes in general. The following is a short video by Dr. Hallberg on this very topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp_SjcnR3Us

Bottom line, I too have started to see if I can keep my HDL increases steady and try to reduce LDL over the next 6 months. One of the ways I'll approach this is to limit or eliminate dairy (I mostly consume butter and HWC, but sometimes eat cheese) by cutting back or out of my daily HWC in coffee.

I'm almost at the point where I'm questioning the need to continue lipid testing, as my numbers where there appears to be some kind of medical agreement are good, and the gray area (LDL implications) is something that may even be a health improvement for me. So, I'm on a quest to learn more about LDL markers and what to expect when one is on a LCHFKD WOE.