Thread: Black Soy Beans
View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 13:14

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

OK, I need some education. Kristine has mentioned labels outside of north America and that the Eden black soy beans are misleadingly labeled. I have looked around quite a lot and Eden seems to be the most web referenced brand, so its hard to crosscheck. I have found wide differences between some results in carbs in nutritional info across the web for soybeans in general, and yes I'm watching serving size which is usually about a 1/2 cup, or 100-130 grams. Some are 1 cup.

From my understanding, by food labeling law regulated by the FDA, the total carbohydrates listed on the label must be the total carbohydrates, period. There is some controversy on "net carbs" and how it should be allowed to be labeled, but it's pretty clear total carbs must be listed in the total carbs line on a U.S. nutrition label. If one is saying the Eden black soybeans is subtracting the fiber from its total carbohydrate line, then one is accusing...or perhaps somehow through this formula Kristine used...PROVES they are fraudulently labeling this product.

With so many people taking food labeling so seriously, I'm finding it hard to believe someone hasn't reported Eden to the proper authorities (FDA?) for such false labeling. I tried to do the basic calculation Kristine mentioned above, but there is no line item on the Eden can of beans that indicates protein calories...maybe their is another way to derive that information with math? Its not on the can, only the calories from fat are on the can.

From SFGate which has a lot of nutritional info, I found this:

"To find out the starch content of a serving of food, subtract the grams of sugars and fibers from the total carbohydrates."

But this assumes a legal product labeling. If this is correct, labeling and the formula from this article, the black soy beans are 8 grams carbs-7grams fiber-1 gram sugar=zero starches. That does seem unbelievable, but these beans are billed as a super diet food, so maybe its true

Here's the article: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/kin...arch-fiber-1247.

Like I said, I found a few outliers out there that have soy and black soy beans widely higher than these numbers, even way higher than the 16 grams carbs calculated on Kristine's comment, and so many of the other results seemed to be from the Eden black soy bean label, if not directly mentioning that they are from that labeling. I also found, in most cases, regular soy beans were pretty low in net carbs (most nutritional information, like I said I found a few wild outliers out there that seemed to be using the data of other beans because the data was much closer to other beans), a bit above the labeling in this discussion, so that makes sense that black soy beans would be even less since they are touted by so many as being so. Not for nothing, but Dr. Oz has also sung the praises of black soy beans (for what thats worth).

Here is another label for black soybeans from LC Foods that matches the Eden label:

https://www.holdthecarbs.com/non-gm...-black-soybeans

Granted maybe they are actually packaged by the same people and therefore the label is not correct...but total carbs are total carbs, labels are not supposed to take other calculations in to consideration unless they state that they have, such as Atkins packaging and some other new packaging starting in 2018 that allows net carbs to be shown, but the total carbs MUST be also shown so you can do our own calculation if you choose not to buy in to the -fiber and - sugar alcohols calculations

So it seems to me, if these labels are false, they are breaking the law. I'm not convinced the labeling is wrong, but I'm open to being convinced. If there is proof of this, such as independent nutritional analysis done by a university for instance...or other investigative lab, I would personally report it to the FDA. I find it hard to believe a company selling these beans and even made a national media "superfood" by someone like Dr. Oz would risk the penalty of such false information. It's possible they are criminally negligent or criminally internationally mislabeling, but man, thats a real situation these days...not labeling food correctly. Very risky for the company and the consumer.

I'd like to know more. Seems like there should be more out there on this falsehood if popularly assumed to be true. I'm not finding anything on the web when searching "black soybeans misleading label " or "carbohydrate of black soybeans misleading label" for instance. Seems like there would be a lot of outrage in the LC world if this were a "thing".

School me