View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-16, 20:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Exactly. I think that, at some point, we can get too worried about the minutiae of our WOE. It's funny that the tools we have to measure our bodies' responses to what we eat, like ketostix and BG monitors, also can cause us distress, because the information that that they give us can be excessively worrisome, should that information be not what we're expecting.

Just as the biochemical processes that make up our metabolisms are not simple CICO machines, as so many doctors and laypeople believe, neither do they respond simply to the meal in front of us.

What we've eaten previously in the day (if anything) our activity levels, our usual eating habits, our level of stress or lack thereof as we're eating, and any number of other things that wouldn't seem to have any effect at all on how we process our food, does.

But so does the makeup of that meal. When I mentioned adding fat to a steak, that matters. Because the protein in a fatty meal isn't digested in isolation, it's digested along with whatever else was eaten, and the combination can speed up or slow down the entry of the amino acids into your bloodstream. Adding fat will slow everything down, such that you DON'T necessarily get a spike from the protein.

I really admire your attempts to discern the specifics of what is ideal for you to attain and maintain your goals, Marvin.

I'm not 100% convinced that there is anything that specific, though. The needs, as the processes, change as our circumstances change, daily.

I follow my WOE, and I know that if I vary to one side or the other, as long as I keep the carbs low, the protein moderate (and for me, that's about 60 gms/day) and the fat high, I'll lose, and I'll stay healthy.

I have the background to analyze beyond that. But I made a conscious decision, when I started this WOE, to NOT do that. I want to be able to eat, enjoy, and be done with it, knowing that I ate well, within the confines of what that means for me and my body.