#8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-17, 16:21

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I have gone from ignoring these as Marketing scams to worrying that that rapid popularization and monetizing of anything "Ketogenic" is going to lead to its equally rapid demise after some idiot biohacker dies. Jacking up ketones artificially without compensating low glucose and other adjustments is an unknown.

Recently I figured out ketones activate insulin receptors (based on a video by Chris Masterjohn, and on my paradigm). This is how insulin drops because when ketones hit the liver and activate insulin receptors, the liver degrades insulin. Insulin degradation is the last step of a sequence - inhibition of ketogenesis, inhibition of glycogenolysis, insulin degradation. What this means is:

1. Too much exogenous ketones shuts down ketogenesis in the liver
2. Blood glucose drops, but;
3. Insulin drops, therefore allows blood glucose to rise accordingly later on
4. Other hormones compensate normally for low blood glucose, as the case may be

Before anything bad happens, we'd have to take tons of ketones in a bottle. The ketones we drink are not added to the ketones we produce - they shut down ketogenesis. We can produce up to about 10mmol blood ketones level without problem. Those drinks boost only up to 5mmol per bottle. In the event we drink a bottle when we're fasting and we got a ketone level of 10mmol, since ketogenesis is already pretty much shut down but still on-going a little, the excess we drink is gonna completely shut down ketogenesis, blood ketone level is going to rise quickly but drop just as quickly as the excess gets used up.

Interestingly, a quick search reveals that it's advised for diabetics type 1 to test for ketones when their blood glucose level is high, with the idea to avoid ketoacidosis. This doesn't make sense, ketoacidosis is a function of ketones, not blood glucose. Why would they advise that? Because the true condition isn't ketoacidosis, it's glucoacidosis (but we can't say that, because official guidelines and all that BS). What this means for those biohackers is that they'll probably get in trouble when they combine a bottle of ketones with some energy drink full of sugar. On the other hand, the effect of ketones on blood glucose will actually mitigate this problem. I believe it's gonna be real hard to do this wrong. In a way, it's a bit like low-carb, you gotta try real hard to do it wrong.

Anyways, I'm not worried. We've pointed out so many times why low-carb doesn't work - cuz it ain't actually low-carb. My guess is it's gonna be the same with this stuff - it ain't actually ketones or something like that.