Thread: Virta Health
View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-18, 07:41

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

This jumped out at me because some people, it seems, are trying to lower their A1c to less than 5, doing long fasts in some cases to achieve it, and perhaps thinking themselves failures if they stay on Metformin.

Quote:
Our definition for having reversed diabetes is that patients have glycemic control, which means they've lowered their hemoglobin A1C lower than 6.5, which is the diabetes threshold, without diabetes medications other than metformin.

This has been achievable for me without very low carb (and presumably ketosis), with some moderate fasting (less than 24 hrs). According to my last test at least; I've got another coming up in a April.

Before Dr. Fung, just eating low carb ("eat when you're hungry"), I used to eat too often. IIRC, Dr. Bernstein said to have at least 5 hrs between meals. If you also have 12 hrs between dinner and breakfast, something's got to give, so either 2 meals a day or one has to be something non-insulinogenic like broth or bulletproof coffee.

I think the drumbeat to "eat three small meals and 3 snacks to keep your blood sugar stable" that we've been hearing for years is especially horrible advice for diabetics.