#11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-19, 05:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I've looked for iodine in the stores (limited choice here) & can't find it. I suppose it's available online, but I wouldn't know what to look for. Same with raw thyroid - tho I wouldn't even know where to start with that!

So some clues about brand names & dosage, please?

Thanks in advance!

Here you go, from my favorite online source:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/natural-so...0-capsules/6016

I started with ONE every 3 days. Moved to two days between. Now, two months in, I'm taking ONE every day, always with first meal of the day. This is where I plan to stay for a while.

What intrigued me were the reviews like this:

Quote:
my thyroid cancer resulted in removal of the entire gland and radiation treatment. i have suffered constant hypo since because my levothyroxine, despite hitting perfect numbers on the chart, has not relieved many of the worst symptoms. the very first day of this product ended the problem. i was fearful there would be a drop off of effect, but no problem so far. priceless.

This is the only raw thyroid product I know of, but there can be others. I originally got it from Amazon, but they don't seem to have it now.

One principle I always follow is that all supplementation should start small and slow. I monitor all "feels" from baseline, be they positive or negative. The warning signs would be the symptoms of HYPERthyroid:

Appetite change (decrease or increase)
Difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
Fatigue.
Frequent bowel movement—perhaps diarrhea.
Heart palpitations.
Heat intolerance.
Increased sweating.
Irritability.

Did I have any? No. (For one thing, I always have heat intolerance ) I did get a few instances of passing anxiety when I started, but that soon smoothed out, and they really were fleeting. Everything else was highly positive: cravings diminished, sleep vastly improved, and energy increased. I wake up feeling normal again. While that usually doesn't last past lunchtime, this is a wonderful improvement.

By contrast, here is HYPOthyroid.

Fatigue.
Increased sensitivity to cold.
Constipation.
Dry skin.
Weight gain.
Puffy face.
Hoarseness.
Muscle weakness.

According to italics, anything that lightens my fatigue would mean I'm on the right track with supplementing - neither too high or too low. My sleep has become long, deep, and healing; after SEVEN years of disturbed and inadequate sleep.

Judging by my experience so far, my list of hypothyroid symptoms would look more like this:
  • FATIGUE dear heavens so much
  • sleep problems
  • appetite issues (when I was at my sickest I lived on cold cuts and ice cream because it was all I could choke down)
  • immune issues

It's n=1, but what an N and this 1 is grateful beyond measure.

To be clear, this is a situation probably caused by all my other issues, from disastrous menopause leading to all kinds of endocrine resistance and the subsequent collapse of my health creating new issues until I struck out on my own. Real doctors have been instrumental in my continuing recovery, but they all have blogs

My situation was also complicated by the hidden genetic condition that I also detected when no one else would have even thought of it. This was the source of the overwhelming stress coming from my previous life configuration. (I kept the husband and cats, but radically changed my job and living space.) So this ongoing crisis was solved almost entirely by myself, without much in the way of medical-treatment. Which I'm starting to feel is becoming the new oxymoron.

Why didn't I try to get tested as a first step? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you must be new here. That's another post in itself.