View Single Post
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-11, 18:27

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I've been doing this DVD for several weeks now (3x a week). I was a total non-exerciser so I've had to do a lot of modifications.

I'm finding it hard to move on to level 2 because so much of it is jumping around (I'm trying not to injure one knee) or else holding up your upper body weight on your wrists for many moves, which mine can't really take yet. So I keep going back to level 1. I may check out level 3 soon to see if there's at least less wrist-based stuff.

I haven't lost any weight. My appetite has also increased and I'm finding it harder to stay asleep at night. That said, I'm at least enjoying building a little strength for the first time in my life. I can do jumping jacks for a short while without feeling like I'm dying. I'd also like to be able to do a real pushup at some point. Plus, this is the first time I've ever stuck to any workout regime (I credit the shortness of this one), so I have a sense of accomplishment.

In place of a lot of the high-impact stuff, I use a step platform thingie (remember those? had one in garage) to try to get my heart rate up as much as possible without getting those warning pains from my right knee. I actually enjoy most of the ab stuff, which is shocking, and generally I like the weight stuff, except the lunges (knee again).

It's completely loosened up my right shoulder, which was also having some major pain at one point when I reached overhead. When I did some reading, it sounded like bursitis? Anyway, stretching + exercise has eliminated the problem. Wish I could say the same for the knee, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyway: it's a mixed bag so far, but I like doing level 1 and it's good for those with short attention spans. If nothing else, I think it'll serve as a good introduction to other workout approaches for me, much in the same way Rachel Ray got me into the kitchen and cooking before I moved on to Nigella Lawson, Alton Brown, and finally Julia Child.