View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-06-24, 10:33

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
About 50 million Americans currently have insurance coverage for Wegovy, Jorgensen said, and Lilly told investors this week that about 67% of Americans with commercial insurance have coverage for Zepbound. Jorgensen also said Medicaid coverage is improving, noting “a number of states have opted in and see that there’s value in treating patients living with obesity.”

Wegovy was shown in a major clinical trial last year to not only aid with weight loss, but also to prevent heart attacks, strokes and heart-related death in people at elevated cardiovascular risk, potentially increasing demand for the medicine even further, but also improving insurance coverage; the US Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services subsequently said Medicare plans could cover the medicine for heart benefits.

“We are only getting to, say, a million Americans so far out of the 50 million” whose insurance would cover Wegovy, Jorgensen said. He noted a million is the number of patients who have ever been prescribed Wegovy in the US, and fewer are currently taking the medicine, though he didn’t specify precisely how many. More than 40% of US adults are estimated to have obesity, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or about 100 million people.

“So I think availability of medicines is probably a bigger challenge than, actually, access” through insurance coverage, Jorgensen said.

This horrifies me, the idea that their apparent goal is to have every person who has diabetes, or is obese, or who is on Medicare and has some kind of heart anomaly on a GLP-1 drug, and that 50 million are already eligible for it.

I understand the desperation to lose weight - but it's the food causing the real problem, not the lack of appetite controlling drugs that have the potential to seriously mess up your digestive system.