View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-02-24, 02:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

But as we adapt to ketosis, our levels go down. And I kept running across info that ketoacidosis has a clear clinical picture, in numbers:

Quote:
Telling the difference

When you’re in ketosis, your blood ketone level is at least 0.5 millimoles per litre (mmol/L), which is around 9 mg/dL.

If a person has ketoacidosis, this level is around 5–10 times higher.

I know a physicist is working with Dr. Bernstein to establish protocols for children like his Type I son, because (at least in Australia) they apparently don't control their blood sugars very much, out of this fear of ketoacidosis. They are told to eat high carb, and "insulin to cover."

Maybe children should have the glucose metering and alarms, because I'm sure they sneak goodies and that's why the blood glucose is monitored. I only have direct experience with adults but they can be as non-compliant as children, of course.

I'm still reading the Gary Taubes book on diabetes, where he outlines how insulin therapy went from lifesaving to dangerous crutch for increased processed food intake. It went from "keeping people alive" to "keeping people fat and happy."

This is the same excuse they used for years to discourage low carb, in adults. So I find it difficult to believe this is the whole story. Because we aren't talking Zero Carb for children, or anything close.

Most of these children are type II, anyway. What used to be called "adult onset," such as my father, diagnosed in his late thirties. I saw him following doctor's instructions meticulously, allowing for his beer and the carby dishes his partner loved to cook. It did not work.

I am confused. Is ketoacidosis detectable, or not?