View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-24, 10:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just as an aside on the topic of cancer risk -

I spent the first 12 years of my life living on a farm across the road from a stone quarry that had high amounts of asbestos in the rock. Dust which contained lots of asbestos would billow down into the hollow where the farm was located. Everything was covered with that dust - the yard, the fields, inside the house (because of course there was no AC, so we had to have windows open)

Since asbestos was so common in the rock in that area, my brother often found rocks on the farm with asbestos fibers in them - we'd play with those rocks, fascinated that no matter how many times we tried to set fire to them, we couldn't get the asbestos fibers to burn.

After constant exposure to asbestos dust for 12 years and playing with rocks that had asbestos in them, one would think that at least some member of my family would have ended up with lung cancer - none of us has ever had any kind of cancer. I'm the only one in the family who has been overweight or obese (and that for most of my life). I'm 70 - brother is 72, sister is 65.

In addition, my brother and I were from the era when obstetricians regularly did x-rays of the pregnant woman's abdomen throughout pregnancy.

Oh and also when I had my tonsils removed at age 6, the surgeon said he was unable to remove my adenoids because they were too large. I was given radiation treatments to stop the growth of my adenoids because with the rate they were growing, otherwise he claimed I would have ended up completely deaf by age 14.

Of course we all played outdoors in the sun (and asbestos dust) for hours on end - no sunblock at all.

If anyone on this planet is a powder keg for cancer based on carcinogen, radiation, and UV exposure, obesity, and high insulin levels - you'd think it would be me. I have no explanation for how I've made it to age 70 unscathed.